Friday, April 18, 2014

Goodbye Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"We read to know we're not alone..." ~ William Nicholson


Anybody that knows me, knows that I am a bookworm. I read anything and everything I can get my hands on. I spend a huge portion of my salary buying books and I hope to teach Airiel to have the same passion for reading as I do.

One of my most favourite authors passed away. Those who read would know what a legend this Nobel Prize winning author was. Those who don't won't appreciate this post.

This is like my most favourite picture of him ever..

I find people who can write and engage people to read more of what they have written fascinating. I always wonder what it is that they can see in their heads and minds for them to create universes, worlds, characters that just blows us away and evokes our emotions. Books have taken me to places I have never been, to meet people I have never known. They make me laugh, they reduce me to tears. They lift me up, they break me down. They induce extreme happiness and intolerable pain right until the last page. These are the power of words, the one single thing I find that can heal and destroy at the same time.

There are some authors whose words just stick in your head, and you carry them around forever. Because those words touch your heart, they meld with your soul...and Gabriel Garcia Marquez I find, are one of those authors.

Such a loss to the literary world.

My absolute favourite words of his in one of his books is this:-

"Then he made one last effort to search in his heart for the place where his affection had rotted away, and he could not find it..."

Can you guess which book?

Have a good weekend ahead readers.

Much love from me and Airiel.

Peace and love to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment