Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dilemma of a Working Mother

Well, I know that the title of this post is a general one but I am just referring to myself actually..

My job is a demanding one, ( I thank God that the hours were not as bad as they were before) and at times when I am really busy, I am REALLY BUSY.

Last Saturday, Airiel already had a cough...Sunday, cough persisted but no fever.

I had a trial the coming Monday (which is scheduled to last until next Tuesday - if we are lucky)

So I left the house as 6.30 to make sure all documents were in order and all the relevant documents were brought to Court (all 4 boxes of em' together with 2 counsel bags and God knows what else - Thank God I was with a colleague)

Apparently Airiel was wheezing, Bonda took him to the clinic for a NEB session in the afternoon, and his fever spiked as well.

I could not get out of that trial, I just couldn't...

After the trial was adjourned to the next day, I went back to the office and left around 8.30 (early I might add with all the workload right now). At the same time Bonda, Nenda and Atok had already gerak to take Airiel to the clinic for another NEB session.

I drove Stevie at 170 km an hour to reach the clinic (which was at home) in 15 mins. And I cried all the way...

I am an "ABSENT" mother and that is just a FACT...I was not there when it mattered the most.

I tell Aries 'you are not around for our son'  and yet I am no better nor am I any different. And I am worse, at least Aries has an excuse. He lives 300 miles away. What freaking excuse do I have?

It kills me...from inside to out..

I have tried to balance being everything, being a good wife to Aries, a good daughter to Nenda and Atok, a good daughter in law to my MIL and FIL, a good sis to Kema and Bonda, a good and reliable employee to my bosses and I swear to God that I am trying my best to be the best mother to Airiel.

I do not know how to achieve all that... how do I balance all this? I really do not know... I am truly lost.

Yesterday was a sleepless night, sponging Airiel's body to get his fever down. Poor him, kena masuk ubat bontot untuk kebahkan demam.  I have a fever today but like everything that goes on when it comes to me, I ignore it. I am thinking, it ain't that serious until I land myself in the hospital. So I just blink and have 2 panadol actifast and move on.

As I have said before, on certain days I feel like I am running and functioning on pure adrenalin to get by.

But this is one day where I feel that everything is just tiring me down.

Idza Hajar sesungguhnya sangat penat.

Dear Allah, please give me the strength to accept the things that I cannot change, and the perseverance to change what I can...

5 comments:

  1. this is the very reason i quit practice u know. being an in-house doenst give me the kind of work satisfaction like a litigation lawyer, but just because i cant afford to lose my time with my family. ppl often have this perception on me that i'm not productive as i go home everyday at 5.30pm sharp. but then again, my family is numero uno. home is where my priority is. i just dont care what ppl think anymore.

    sometimes (or most of the time) idza, as a mother, we have to sacrifice our own needs. we just have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. idza,
    we are all an absent mom at some point in our lives.
    be thankful that you still hv your parents, who undoubtedly love and care for ur child more than u could ask for. most importantly, be thankful that they are willing to fill in the gap, for some parents/grandparents are not as hands-on.

    we all struggle to be the best we can, esp as a mother. keep ur heads up and be grateful and just enjoy those precious moments yah?
    u are a strong woman. hang in there ok?
    take care and i hope Airiel gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ida : I know being an in-house is perhaps less taxing, but I do not view being in practice as just a job. Being a litigator is a passion for me and I love everything about it. I cannot imagine doing anything else. Perhaps 'balance' is just not the suitable word to use. There is no such thing. Like your last post, I should by the day..and be grateful for everything I have. I pray that your dad get well soon.

    Farah : I know. I am so grateful to have such hands on parents. They are truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hai idza

    followed your blog just because i am always curious on how a litigator survives. i am doing litigation myself, and i am still very new and fresh. sometimes it is so so so draining that i just wish to give it up. but at the same time i am not done with litigation yet. i dont think i have proven myself yet.(despite my costant whining)

    the workload is just *sighhh* ..but i think if you are passionate enuf (which i hope that i am half as passionate as you are) then i believe and i am confident that it will work for the better as you will find a way.

    tough times dont last but tough people do:)

    good luck to us

    regards
    han

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Han, your comment really helps..

    ReplyDelete