Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Death for Child Molesters/Rapists

This is and was never a legal issue for me.

It is a moral one.

I do not know how people (some of them, members of my profession) can come out and try to look at this and try to compartmentalize it, to look at it from a legal point of view.

I say, before looking at it from a legal point of view, it has to be looked at from a moral perspective.

I watched a series of shows on Oprah dealing with the issue of pedophiles and how their acts have affected their victims. I know from a psychological perspective that the possibility of a pedophile being cured is next to zero (these people cannot be treated).

It was said on the show 'If you can look at these crimes and not feel anything, then there is something wrong with you'. I agree.

I do not think there was anything wrong about Karpal Singh saying what he said. It reflects the sentiment that every Malaysian should have against this despicable and heinous act that these persons have committed against our children.

It is not a political issue. It is a moral one (I feel the need to repeat this).

Then people say that what if it was a female rapist?

I say, it makes no difference. A pedophile is a pedophile, male or female.

Again, it is not a gender issue, it is a moral issue.

Call me emotional, but I agree that death penalty should be imposed. Understand that I intentionally want to be emotional about this. I do not want to read the paper and see the news about these crimes, bat an eyelash and look away like it meant nothing.

I would not be able to live with myself.

I would not want our country to suffer the fate of let's say America, where light punishment is given to child molesters. Their country is overrun by these criminals who are let out by their legal system. What happens? At least 3 out every 5 children is molested. These molested children grow up having serious emotional issues and a majority is incapable of leading a normal life:-

  • at least half would not be able to hold down a steady job,;
  • almost 30% are overweight and have fear of intimacy;
  • Almost 35% become child molesters themselves.
In sheer numbers, this crime does not only destroy a child's life, it destroys a generation. This is a fact.

And the vicious cycle continues.

Having a registry keeping track of them does nothing, the police force do not have the manpower to keep track and control each and everyone of them and more children end up being victims.

I would not stand for it. I cannot in my conscience let it come to that. And trust me it will if we keep a blind eye.

If not death, keep them out of the general population for life. Meaning a life sentence. It is not just about the victim that has already suffered, it is also about them going out and doing it to someone else. We cannot let that happen. I will not let that happen. I will not be able to sleep at night.

If I was a judge, I would have no qualms sending a person who has raped a child to the gallows. At least, no other child would have had to suffer what the victim has with the death of the perpetrator.

If this happened to my child (Nauzubillah), I would kill the perpetrator with my bare hands and I mean that with every fibre of my being. I would kill him with my bare hands.

I would have to say that I look upon those who have managed to talk about it as a matter of factly with disdain.

My 2 cents worth on the matter which I must write down as I feel very strongly about it.

P.S - No offense to anyone and my views are not affliated to any political party or political sentiment. This is my view as a concerned Malaysian citizen and a parent myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment