Friday, July 18, 2014

United in Grief

"We all want to do something to mitigate the pain of loss or to turn grief into something positive, too find a silver lining in the clouds. But I believe there is real value in just standing there, being still, being sad" ~ John Green

Hello readers.

Too much has happened not only to Malaysia but to the world this year.

I shake as I type this but I have to. I must write so these events will forever be etched in my mind, recorded here for all of time. I need to always remember...

Malaysia

MH17, 17.07.2014. A Malaysian Airlines commercial plane on its way to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam crashed in Ukraine, near the Russian border.

298 passengers and cabin crew members lost their lives.

Infants were also on board.

The plane has allegedly been shot down by Ukraine separatists. Investigations have commenced into this incident.

Gaza

17.07.2014 - For the first time in history Israel announced it has launched ground operations against Gaza. 

The last time I checked, civilian casualties stand at 302, a majority of them children, women and the elderly.

As I type this, the Wafa orthopedic hospital in Gaza is under attack with patients still inside the hospital.

2 days ago, 4 boys playing football on a beach was systematically butchered by missiles targeted at them in full view of international reporters. Blown to pieces. Gone, dead. 

__________________________________________________________________

This world no longer makes sense to me.

Today, we stand as a nation in grief for the fate that befell MH17 and MH370 which has yet to be resolved.

Today, I see humanity on the brink where women, children, the elderly and hospitals can be targeted in military operations so blatantly, with impunity and with no call for responsibility on the perpetrators.

Today I see values in jeopardy when people around me not only turn a blind eye against injustices and tragedy, offers no solutions, and neither do they assist in whichever way that they can, no matter how small that may be. People that I see firsthand losing any sense of compassion, empathy and justice. People who believe that they are too insignificant to make a difference, and thus does not even try. People who do not live, but merely exist.

This heart breaks.

This heart bleeds.

Prayers to all who have lost their lives, be it in flight MH17, MH370, Gaza, Syria, Burma...this list is not exhaustive.

Prayers. May all of you be blessed. 

May all of those who are left behind be given the strength and courage to accept what they cannot change, to let go of what they have lost. This is my prayer, and I pray because in reality it is perhaps the one most difficult thing to do. 

Much love from Airiel and I.

Peace and love to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment