Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Let our differences unite us and not divide us..

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter...
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

As the Bersih rally went on last Saturday, I watched anxiously and kept up with the news on Malaysiakini.

I remember how my maid was pissed as she had to cancel her leave.

As the drama unfolded, so did the posts, comments and blogs of my fellow friends. It was only then did I realise how different we all are, in so far as opinions, beliefs and views are concerned.

I know some of my friends struggle to keep their composure in defending what they believe in, I know some were cynical, I know some were angry, I know some were downright rude.

But were you, any of you there to witness the events? When you hear rumors of what happened, did you take steps to verify it?

I don't know what happened and so wisely, I shall not open my mouth and comment. Lets read from those who were there:-

1. A lawyer in the monitoring team here;

2. Marina Mahathir's account of the events here;

3. The accounts of Charis Ding on Malaysia Today here;

4. The account of Abdul Haleem here; and

5. Last but not least, Aunty Anne here.

Enough of the hate, the distrust, the judgment on each other. Bersih has come and gone, it was an event and it has passed. But we, you and I are here to stay. We ARE the future of this country, every single one of us.

Let us celebrate our differences and have it unite us, not the other way round.

Bak kata org, 'Dalam hati tu biar ada taman' hehehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment